Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I've got sunshine...on a snowy day!

Officially, spring is just around the corner, and it seemed to be full steam ahead on it's way here the last few weeks. Then we got a major cold front that brought lots of
            w
                                      i
  n
                      d

and lots of    r
                     a
                     i
                     n.

Then out of the blue I wake up this morning to a couple inches of snow and a 1 inch sheet of ice on the windshield of our cars. I was cold and not prepared with my hat and gloves to be scraping ice off a window. So needless to say, my Tuesday started off even gloomier than my Monday.

Nephew's backyard during lunch
Lunch was a chance to bring myself out of the funk and sprinkle a little sunshine on my little ones. I am also taking responsibility for bringing the sun out of his funk by doing a sunshine lunch tribute, because not terribly soon after I started lunch prepping the sunshine made an appearance and melted the snow.

HURRAY! HURRAY! It's sunny today!

Don't get me wrong. I think snow is super pretty, and it's makes up for any bad qualities it has by helping to cleanse the earth. Washing away dirt and muck, watering the plants and grass as it melts, sparkling like diamonds on the trees as the sun makes it's first appearance. Snowscapes are breathtaking. Truly. But I can be a fairly nervous driver when temperatures drop to freezing or below. Especially because it's so so wet up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Icy roads + Kara driving = car in a ditch on the side of the freeway. Yes it really has happened. With DD in the car no less, but everyone was okay that night. It just makes me extra super cautious when the weather turns cold.

Enough of my rambles and onto some plates!


Nephew's Plate
DD's Plate
Clockwise from top left
Goldfish
Orange slices
Carrot sticks
Macaroni & cheese
Smiley face sun (cheese slice)
Milk to drink

 DD tried to convince me she needed applesauce right away, even though I told her she could have it after she ate her food. Nephew spent the first 10 minutes of lunch negotiating for more carrots before he even touched the ones he had. In the end, both plates were cleared of everything except a few stray pieces of macaroni that never seem to make it onto the fork nicely and DD left part of her sun.

For a day that started off so dreary, in my opinion anyway, it turned pretty cheery by lunch time. I was very surprised at how bright a plate of orange and yellow food could be, and even more surprised to be blessed with the real sun making an appearance at his tribute party. Now if he could just stick around for the next few months I'd be a very very happy girl. Time to go read some yummy slices. Happy blogging everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Love the title - it got me singing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be afraid to ramble! Your rambling is just as fun as the plates! I love the way you made the word wind look like the WIND we are experiencing here in Illinois tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect way to welcome a sunny, chilly day. The sun cheese made me smile. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet post! Children and their negotiations...this had me laughing! Too sweet and super cute lunches! Oh and send some spring my way too!

    ReplyDelete